Communications and Outreach Director
Friends of the San Juans is looking for a skilled, organized, creative, and enthusiastic professional to join our team. The Communications and Outreach Director will set and guide the strategy for all communications, including online presence, media interactions, and public messaging, to consistently articulate Friends mission and programming. The Director will work with our team as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives and programs and will play a key role in furthering our mission to protect and restore the San Juan Islands and the Salish Sea for people and nature.
- Create a broad understanding among the public about the scope and importance of the mission-driven work of Friends of the San Juans.
- Develop and implement a strategic and visionary annual communications plan in collaboration with Friends’ team.
- Track and measure the effectiveness and engagement of communications efforts, in both print and electronic media.
- Position the Executive Director as the voice and “public face” of Friends, through essays, op eds, and video. Similarly, position Friends as a regional thought leader on the issues we specialize in.
- Develop and distribute Friends outreach materials, including but not limited to press releases, electronic newsletters and action alerts, direct mail, program information, blogs, and brochures.
- Administer the Friends website in WordPress, coordinating regular site updates and maintenance.
- Ensure consistent organizational messaging on donor and member communications.
- Write and distribute evocative press releases to local and regional media. Develop and manage relationships with all media contacts.
- Work with graphic artists, videographers, and other outside contractors as needed to develop cogent, visually appealing presentations about Friends’ mission, goals, and projects
- Lead the creation and dissemination of online, multi-channel content that educates and engages target audiences (such as members, specific demographics within our community, or local and state officials) and results in measurable action.
- Conduct community outreach elements of Friends programs to create awareness, secure engagement, and achieve goals among target audiences.
- Work with Friends staff, Board of Directors, and volunteers to plan and implement events for members and the community.
- Other duties as needed to achieve our organizational goals, including occasional night and weekend responsibilities.
- At least five years of communications experience, preferably in a communications leadership role within a nonprofit and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, press, and donor outreach.
- Preference for an undergraduate and/or graduate degree in Communications.
- Exceptional writing, editing, and verbal communication skills, including public speaking.
- Proficient in website HTML content, social media apps, CRM and marketing tools such as Constant Contact, Google Suite, MS Office, and Adobe Suite or equivalent image and video editing tools.
- Commitment and passion for the mission of Friends of the San Juans; preference for knowledge of the Salish Sea ecosystem.
- The ability to take scientific data and technical information and transform it into communications that are clear, compelling, and useful for target audiences, and that motivate them to action.
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies with the ability to manage a variety of initiatives concurrently.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking, project-management experience, and a strong skillset in community-based social marketing and storytelling.
- Highly collaborative style with a sincere commitment to work with all constituent groups, including staff, Board members, donors, volunteers, program participants, and partner organizations.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills; experience working with diverse stakeholders.
Strong servant leadership skills.
- Self-starter, that can work independently and with the team.
- High energy, maturity, and leadership skills, with the ability to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
Preference for experience in community and/or environmental journalism, crisis communications, and ethics.
Salary: $60,000 to $75,000 plus benefits for full-time employment, depending on experience
Location: Our preference is that our Communications and Outreach Director will live in the San Juan Islands, in order to be an active and visible participant in our local community.
Go to https://sanjuans.org/commdir/ for the full job description.
To Apply: Applicants should submit the following in one PDF to Shannon Davis, at firstname.lastname@example.org:
• Cover letter
• Professional writing sample
• At least one additional example of a communications piece that you created that was intended to generate an action or result (links are acceptable)