The University of Alaska Southeast (“UAS”) invites applications and nominations for the position of Chancellor. The position reports to the President of the University of Alaska System.
The University of Alaska Southeast is a regional university serving Southeast Alaska and beyond through campuses in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Sitka. At UAS one will commonly hear the phrase “three campuses—one university,” reinforcing that all campuses contribute meaningfully to the institution’s mission. All share in the university’s decision-making processes and contribute to advancing student achievement and success.
The three campuses in Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka work as a single university to address important regional and statewide needs, leverage essential resources, and create critical postsecondary education and training opportunities in the region. This regional approach makes sense given that Southeast Alaska is geographically remote from the rest of Alaska and accessible only by water or air. Southeast Alaska is the ancestral home of the Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian peoples. Their presence extends back thousands of years. Nearly 20 percent of UAS students are indigenous Alaskans.
The University of Alaska Southeast Chancellor serves as the university's chief executive officer and is appointed by and reports to the University of Alaska System President. UAS has campuses in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Sitka. The Chancellor's office is on the Juneau campus. The next Chancellor will lead UAS at a time of diminishing resources and as a result, he or she must possess solid budgetary and management skills and experience as well as a strong disposition to collaborate with the Board of Regents, UA President, and fellow UA Chancellors.
- Senior level leadership and administrative experience in an academic environment.
- Demonstrated financial acumen and experience solving challenging financial issues with minimal reduction of services.
- A record of commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity.
- A record of commitment to faculty research and scholarship as well as excellence in university teaching;
- A clear understanding and commitment to shared governance values and processes.
- A history of innovation in developing and supporting academic programs that support student success goals.
- Successful leadership and management experiences, including strategic planning, financial management, and management of staff.
- Demonstrated ability to support the use of effective information technology for pedagogical, administrative, and student support needs.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A solid understanding of and disposition to lead fundraising and revenue generation efforts.
- An earned terminal degree from an accredited institution.
- Experience in a public higher education institution and multi-campus system.
- Experience working in or clear understanding of the mission of an open enrollment institution.
For more information about the Chancellor Search, including links to the timeline and position profile, please visit: http://www.uas.alaska.edu/chancellor/chancellor-search.html.
UAS encourages applications from candidates who have a strong record of scholarship and teaching with successful executive level administrative experience in higher education. UAS also encourages applications from exceptional candidates with nontraditional backgrounds who have demonstrated significant successes in business, industry, nonprofit or government that are relevant in the higher education setting.
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and will continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. Applicants must submit a current curriculum vitae, a letter of interest describing relevant experience and interest in the position, and a list of three professional references. Applications and letters of nomination should be submitted to:
Alberto Pimentel, Managing Partner or
Emy Peña, Partner
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates
6512 Painter Avenue, Whittier, CA 90601
Refer to code “UAS-Chancellor” in subject line
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination